Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Doctor Appointment

Need to vent.

So I took B to the doctor today because he has had screaming episodes the last two evenings. They lasted about 6 hours each night, but it was scream, nap, scream, nap, scream, nap, etc. Naps were about 20 minutes each and screaming 30 or more minutes. I about lost my sanity and it's so hard to see him cry and not be able to sooth him. Its the worst feeling in the world! Plus Jer hasn't been getting home until 9 so I am alone all day and all night with B. I love him but it is draining not being able to put him down a whole lot and not getting naps in because he usually doesn't sleep long enough for me to fall asleep and get a good nap. I end up waking up more tired. Anyway...

He is 11 lbs 1 oz. That is the 75th percentile. Big Boy!

She thinks he is colicy which is something he will just have to grow out of and the screaming fits are something we will just have to deal with while they are happening. She is having me put him on formula for a week to see if that helps because there may be something in my milk upsetting his belly. I am not happy about this and it makes me feel like a bad mom. I feel like I can't provide for him now. PLus I have to pump after each feeding to keep my supply up so it's just going to take twice as long and be harder now. I'm really upset about this.

She also told me to put him down and let him cry if I can't sooth him and I get frustrated. I know her reasonings behind this, but I dont think I can do that. I can't sit in the other room and listen to him scream knowing I'm not even trying to help calm him. I would just get more frustrated listening to that from the other room.

Arg.

This sucks.

I feel like shit.

Poor Bracken. Hopefully he grows out of it sooner rather than later. And hopefully these fits are only a few times a week and not a nightly episode because it is so draining on both of us. I just sit and cry with him for most the time. What a crappy day. I hope it helps him being on formula because I am really opposed to doing it. If it doesn't help change his behavior then it will be a waste and I will be even more upset.

8 comments:

Stefanie said...

Oh man, I'm sorry to hear that. I hope for your sake this passes quickly. Good luck!

TC Jolley said...

Hang in there girl. Being in the newborn phase was always the hardest on me, it gets better. Let me know if I can help or if you just need to talk and vent it out. I'm here.

The Blakes said...

Anyone with kids knows exactly how you are feeling. I promise you it gets better! I was totally against formula as well but I actually had to give it to Bailey because my milk supply depleted...and she is totally healthy... Bracken will be too. Also... I hated when my doctor told me to do the whole "cry it out" thing but let me tell you it works!!! What helped for me is I had a friend who sat with me and told me it is ok that she was crying because it is ok! And it actually helps them sleep on their own a lot better in the long run. I PROMISE IT WILL GET BETTER!!!

The Hawkins Gang said...

Things will get better hun! My mom told me I was colicy when I was younger and the only thing that would soothe me is laying on my dads chest at night. He'll get through it, just keep your head up! Love you guys!

jen863 said...

Sounds like you need another visit. And maybe another lasagna.I will call you!

Nicole and Scott said...

Wow...this makes me very excited to be a parent...I don't think I am prepared for this! But, I am sure that you are doing an awesome job!

The Ropers said...

Very normal! It happens with all newborns! I would just hold the boys and walk around the house with him. If I was getting frustrated I would hand him off to Nick and he would do the same. Both my boys were on formula, Beckem just would not take to me feeding him. They are healthy and happy! The screaming episodes will get better! They thought Beck had gastric reflux so there were certain things you would do for them for that, but just over time they get out of the screaming mode! Hang in there!!! <3

Harrison Family said...

The newborn stage is definetely not easy! There is a lot of adjusting to do! I don't think anyone expects them to cry as much as they do! Talan had long crying spells every night and every morning starting at 5 and now he is the happiest baby ever! It will get better! They eventually grow out of it! Just know that you are doing a great job!